I want to share with everyone some reminders about candle safety. I recently stayed at an AirBnB vacation rental and upon entering the home I saw a lit candle on the table. Nobody was home. I immediately blew out the candle and then did a room by room inspection to make sure that there were no other lit candles in the home.
I sent the owner an email letting them know how dangerous it is to leave a lit candle unattended. Just a few days ago, a friend told me a story of how another friend of hers had his home burn down to the ground because his renter left a candle burning unattended.
Here are some statistics from the National Fire Protection Association that opened my eyes and stuck with me ever since I read them:
From 2009-2013, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 9,300 home structure fires that were started by candles. These fires caused 86 deaths, 827 injuries and $374 million in direct property damage.
With the holiday season, more candles are used more frequently so here are some candle safety tips to remember:
1. Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn (this includes books, curtains, dried flowers, etc.).
2. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed. NEVER leave a room before blowing out all candles.
3. Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets and children. Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. And keep all matches and lighters out of reach and out of site of children.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday season!
-San Diego Bath & Body Co.