Did you know that the month of December is the peak time of year for candle fires in homes? On average, 25 home candle fires are reported daily. The top 3 days for home candle fires are New Year's Day, Christmas and New Year's Eve.^^
Here are 5 essential candle safety tips to remember this holiday season and throughout the year:
1. Never burn candles within 12 inches of anything that can burn.
2. Never touch, move or handle a burning candle or when the wax is liquid.
3. Always keep a burning candle within sight and out of the reach of pets and children.
4. Extinguish all candles before leaving a room or going to sleep (1/3 of all candle fires start in the bedroom). Also, make sure the wick ember is no longer glowing before you leave or retire for the evening.
5. Keep melt pools clear of debris and wicks trimmed to 1/4" each time before burning.
Please exercise caution whenever you use candles and be especially mindful during this holiday season!
For more important candle safety tips visit the National Fire Protection Association's website.